History of the CP & LT Caboose
The CP & LT Caboose was part of the the "Camino Placerville and Lake Tahoe Railroad" owned and operated by the Michigan-California Lumber Company. This short-line railroad ran between the lumber mill in Camino and the turntable in Placerville, located along side of Upper Main Street. The CP < Railroad started in 1904 and ran until the Southern Pacific Railroad pulled out in 1986. The CP & LT Railroad right-of-way is now part of the El Dorado Trail.
This caboose was probably built in the Michigan-California Lumber Company machine shops and was used on the railroad until 1958. It was donated to the County Museum in 1993.